Monday, January 30, 2012

I mean it for real this time...

So much has happened since my last post. Tom and I bought a house, I had the best bachelorette party ever, we got married, went to maui, I started a new job, we bought furniture, and I have completely changed my approach to health and fitness. I can't address all these topics at once, but my hope is to commit to posting more regularly.

For now, I am going to share something completely random. Yesterday I went to my very first Mary Kay party. To be honest, I had no desire to buy any Mary Kay products, and never really thought much about their stuff. But the party was being hosted by my crossfit trainer, and really, in life, not many people are there for you every day like the person yelling at you to do deadlifts and burpees. So the least I could do was be there FOR HER, and help her with her business. My expectations were pretty low going into it, but I left feeling very impressed with all of their products.

I am a skincare FREAK. As in, I went to the dermatologist at age 24 and demanded retin-A to prevent wrinkles from ever making it to my face. I know all the skincare lingo, ingredients, and lines from vitamin C to AHA. My current regiment is I wash my face with Aveda Purifying Gel Cleanser. This stuff is THE BOMB. It gets all of my makeup off with no real effort. I basically can't live without it. After cleansing, I moisturize with Priori Idebenone Facial Moisturizer aka skin crack. My skin soaks this stuff up and also has powerful anti aging/ melanin reducing ingredients. At night time, before I moisturize, I use Atralin which is a pH balanced version of Retin-A that you get from the doctor.




Speaking of retin-A... Just want to make sure you all realize that there is literally nothing better for your skin than retin-A. Decades ago, derms prescribed it to people with acne. And the way it worked is that it makes your skin turn over, or shed an entire layer, twice as fast as normal. So bacteria has no where to stay trapped and form pimples because the skin is shedding and renewing at such a fast rate. So about 10 years after this stuff hit the market, doctors noticed that people who had been using it for acne had achieved the bonus side effect of perfect skin that looked young and flawless. Yes, retin-A can irritate your skin... That's what exfoliation is: flaking off peely dead skin. In my case, I used a low dose topical gel that is mild enough for daily use. The brand I use is pH balanced so it doesn't irritate as much as traditional or generic forms of retin-A. And yes, it does cost more and no, insurance doesn't cover all of it.

Look - no makeup on and my complexion is killing it....


Anyway, so with all that said - sorry Mary Kay, I just don't have any room in my life for more skin care friends. So instead, I bought some lip balm and a brush set. BUT, if you are looking to spice up your skin care routine, I can say as a self-proclaimed expert that their products are legit. They use great ingredients and because Mary Kay is a direct sales company, their products have a much lower markup and cost much less to you. Go to my friend Valerie's Mary Kay page to check out their stuff. I highly recommend the microdermabrasion kit as well as the vitamin C serum.

Love, 
Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment