Thursday, July 12, 2012

Things I learned in birth class: American Apparel and birth educators are in cahoots...

I finally know why the leg holders on OBGYN chairs are called "stirrups"... Because that is the preferred dress code for vagina-related medical care...



I am totally on to this subliminal advertising for American Apparel... aka the only place that adult women can still buy unitards and stirrup pants. Who knew that pregnant women and hipsters were so like-minded in their fashion sense?

Full body unitard...

Or maybe lace would be better suited for labor...

Either way, I can't believe I have gone like 20 years without owning stirrup pants...

Overall, I really enjoyed the class. I have perhaps gotten a little carried away with birth preparation, so I kind of assumed that I would already know everything taught in the class. Well, I still knew everything, but it was presented with enough depth that I was engaged and interested. And it was nice to hear someone else present the information instead of reading it from my iPhone. 

At the beginning of the class, all the dads went to get birth balls (exercise balls) for the moms from another room. When they got back, the teacher mentioned that actually there was enough for the dads to get one too if they thought it would be more comfortable than sitting in chairs. No one said anything, no one moved, and before I looked at him, I knew Thomas would be like raising his hand for a special exercise ball to sit on. SO NECESSARY. He led the way, and all the dads ended up getting one to sit on, before I even had the chance to whisper "you DO NOT need to sit on an exercise ball." 


He was also the only dad to check his work email during the class. Not embarrassing at all. Later in the class, the guys had to sit behind us to practice relaxing breathing techniques. The lights were turned off, the ladies on the birthing balls, the guys behind us rubbing our backs. The teacher led deep breathing exercises, and she recommended that the guys do the breathing too because labor can also be stressful for them. My hilarious husband put his mouth like right up to hair and breathed as loudly as possible into the back of my head. Like deep grunts. So we were the a-holes in the class like giggling during the breathing exercises. Now do you get why I think I could benefit from a doula?

My favorite moment of the night was when Jose raised his hand to ask a question (in a very strong accent): "Are we going to talk about... like epidurals? I just had a friend... when I was younger... who told me that like... if you get a girl pregnant, don't let her have an epidural... because she'll like... really regret it later." I just love that he phrased it as "if you get a girl pregnant." From one teen dad to another, I am surprised by the meaningful insight that was passed along. I have a feeling that he and Mercedes are not married, and that they are very young. Either way, they were both super nice and managed not to giggle during the deep breathing exercises.

Me, ready to get my birth class on...

Love,
Lauren











No comments:

Post a Comment