Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My first pregnancy book...

Honestly, with google, there is hardly any need for generalized pregnancy books. I get no less than three emails a week from various websites telling me how big my baby is, what gross symptoms I should be having, and there is also usually a statement about how I need to be eating healthy and working out... aka stop watching Bravo and getting Sonic every day.

So the other night I went to Barnes & Noble with my mom to see what pregnancy book written by a hippie that I could buy. I first skimmed over Hypnobirthing, but decided I could buy it somewhere else for cheaper. Then I found The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I fully intend to breastfeed my baby as exclusively as possible, and because I know nothing about babies or caring for them, I figured I should probably get a handle on how I plan to provide my baby with food. I've read about 20% of the book so far, and I can sum it up for you pretty easily... If you don't breastfeed, you are a terrible mother that hates her baby. (Did I mention that I was never breastfed?). Also, your baby probably won't get into a good college or be popular.
The book isn't actually that judgemental, but it just follows the theme that breastfeeding is what is normal for your body and your baby, and anything else should be considered biologically "abnormal." I believe they make this point so that people start thinking about/researching breastfeeding as the control, and formula feeding as the variable. A lot of studies approach this research the other way around. I totally buy into this as someone who deeply subscribes to the idea of looking at evolution/genetics to tell you what is healthiest based on what your body was meant to do. (ie - eat meat and vegetables, lift heavy stuff, go to sleep in complete darkness, breastfeeding, etc..) I mean, really, your baby pops out with one major instinct: to find your nipple as soon as possible and go to town. 

Listen, I get it that breastfeeding is hard, and some people have problems with it. Sometimes a mom can't make enough milk to sustain their baby in the very beginning. That could very well be me. At the grocery store. Buying formula. I have no judgement (outloud) of people who don't breastfeed (my mom), but there is no way to argue that it's not the best option for your baby if you are both healthy. And while I may be too lazy to throw away the empty shampoo bottle in our shower for over a month, I can't see myself not doing something that my baby was genetically designed to need and want.

On a lighter note, my mom came and met me in the pregnancy section and asked if I was going to buy What To Expect When You're Expecting, I looked over at the What To Expect display and said, "look at the cover... does that look like a book that was written for ME?"

Well does it?...
What To Expect When You're Expecting

My mom laughed right away. And if you know me at all, you will too. Ummm... I guess it could be worse. She could be wearing some knit gaucho pants with a foldover waist. Or maybe Uggs with a denim skirt. Anyway, jokes aside, there is a What To Expect pregnancy app for iphone, and that's all I need from this franchise of products.

So if you know anything about breastfeeding, we need to talk.

Love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment