Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Let's talk Baptism...

Baptism is a huge freaking deal to me. And Henry's is happening in a month. I take the religious sacrament of Baptism very seriously, and because of that, I also want to make it a very special day and nice celebration for Henry and our families.

So let's get started. Only after going to Baptism class did I learn that each baby gets their own candle. THAT YOU GET TO DECORATE. I have googled and pinterest-ed "baptism candles." Most are really bad. Like this...
A bear with faux Burberry plaid? Can you say muy elegante??? The more I think about decorating this candle, the more I am associating it with a high school homecoming mum. Both are a vehicle by which to assert your status and awesomeness. Both are probably made by your mom. Both need ribbons. Bears are optional. My current vision for the candle is that we get a white one that can be used for the entire family. Anyone who is baptized with the candle will add an embroidered ribbon with their initials and baptism date. I like that idea especially because my husband has not yet been baptized, and I love that he and Henry could use the same candle. Symbolism, people.

Next on the agenda is what will Henry wear? The baptism outfit is a close second to a wedding dress in my mind. His entire future might be riding on this one ensemble. Henry will actually be wearing a baptism gown passed down from Tom's family at the church. I think this is really special, even if the poor guy has to wear a long dress. BUT... we are planning on having a celebration afterwards, and I would like to get him something more boyish to accentuate his adorable features. 

I like this one because it's super cute and simple...
But maybe Henry needs to experience silk for the first time in his life?...

Deciding what I am going to wear was much easier. I basically had to call the CEO of Madewell to get this dress, but it was well worth it. It's the silhouette dress, and I love the skirt on it and the fabric is kind of a stretchy, laser-cut neoprene which is super for my still-weird-post-baby body.
Maybe with a pastel cardigan over it? Or maybe with these shoes?...

I am trying to resist the urge to care about what the party part looks like. No blue and white striped straws. No random snacks or candy with labels indicating that yes, those are in fact cookies. I am taking a stand, here and now, that all this pinterest-style-me-pretty BS is getting out of control. Getting married or having a baby? Pretty much all the internet is good for is making you feel like your house, wedding, and saturday afternoons with your family are inadequate unless they are perfectly styled and photographed...

In a perfect world (aka New Jersey), we would have a huge party and I would wear a sequin one-shouldered dress. There would be a DJ, erupting family tensions, and a spotlight on the dance floor with Henry's monogram. And everyone would get to take home some Holy Water as a party favor. I AM Catholic and Italian, so it's not that far of a stretch...

In all seriousness, I feel so happy to be able to give the gift of Baptism to my baby. And I know I am going to be so incredibly proud of my little angel after he's dunked in the water and becomes part of our church. What a blessing.

Love,
Lauren







No comments:

Post a Comment