Tuesday, March 26, 2013

T&G supports marriage equality. Just so you know.


Part of me doesn't even want to dignify the issue of marriage equality with my own opinions, but I just wanted to make it very clear that this blog (aka me) passionately and wholeheartedly believes that GBLT Americans should have the exact same freedoms and rights as straight people. Everyone, ever, in the history of the world, is created equal. 

As a human, I take equality very seriously whether it's gender, age, race, religion... whatever. I very purposely try to leave politics out of my blog, but I am going to share today that in the last election, I voted for Barack Obama. I'm a white girl living in Texas, so as you can imagine, that puts me in a minority within my own community. The only reason I even want to mention it is because regardless of just about anything else that was debated during the election, I could never vote for someone who did not believe that gay people should have marriage equality. And Mitt Romney believes that marriage should only be between a man and a woman. The issue of civil rights, particularly for gay people, was the sole determinant in my choice for president. It's 2013, and I am having to write the phrase "civil rights" in a present-day context. Unbelievable.

I mean, how does someone who doesn't even believe that all Americans are created equally get to run for president. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? I can't think of anything more UN-American. Shouldn't that be like the first prerequisite?

Politics aside, I know in my heart that soon enough, all of this will be behind us. In the mean time, I encourage everyone to show their support for the GBLT community. This is important. This matters. A country that doesn't give us all the same rights is a scary place to be.

Love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment