Thursday, April 25, 2013

What to do when your baby learns how to get their way...

Just kidding. I have no idea what to do. I currently know nothing about how to keep your 6 month old happy and entertained all day. Also, I'm an idiot. In my post where I said having a 6 month old baby is so easy, I was really dumb to think after a 3 day streak of no crying and long naps that we had moved into some sort of baby bliss era. After those 3 days were over, Henry learned a lot about the world. Most of all, he learned the boring reality that he has stay home with his mom all day.

I think he GETS IT now that he is a person and that he can influence his environment. He gets it that when he whines or cries, that I'm supposed to do something. He gets it that he has choices. He understands manipulation (although, that part is just genetic).

My life currently resembles the plot of The Devil Wears Prada. Henry is portraying the role of Miranda, and Andy is being played by yours truly. Except there is no makeover, and more importantly, no one is making me fancy grilled cheese sandwiches.

"I don't know what else I can do because if I do something right, it's unacknowledged. She doesn't even say thank you. But if I do something wrong, she is vicious."

That quote is the current relationship between me and my child. And doing something wrong usually means that I have moved outside of his 3 feet radius that he would prefer I remain in at all times. Seriously, if I ever get up from where we are playing he looks at me like "ummmm are you really sure you want to be doing that?"

And it's not just that he wants me with him. He wants me to be the one grabbing the toys and handing them to him. His baby mirror has no value to him unless we are BOTH looking at our reflections together, and the cups only work if I restack them every 10 seconds. Apparently he has better things to do than be bothered with independent play.

I constantly go back and forth between "you can't spoil a baby" and "I am totally spoiling my baby." Obviously, if I continue to sit with him every second of the day, he is not going to like doing stuff by himself. But at the same time, I have to keep reminding myself that THAT'S WHAT BEING A MOM IS. And listen, I am happy to be with my baby all day. I believe in it, and I wouldn't have it any other way. But maybe sometimes I wonder how I can trick someone into being my free nanny.

Henry's reaction to this post...

Love,
Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment