Thursday, February 7, 2013

DIY Campaign Chest IKEA Hack...

This has been in the works a long time, but I finally want to share my most favorite DIY to date. Like all DIYs, this was much harder than I thought it would be, but I am so proud of how it turned out. I found this project from forchicsake.com, and fell in love. They deserve all the credit for this chest, so please check out their blog and store at forchicsake.com.

Want to get in on some of this amazing action? Here's the deal...

You will need:


-Quart of paint of your choice. I used Glidden Interior/Exterior high gloss paint in Almost Aqua

-2 inch brass flat corner braces. You will need 3 packs.



-Tools: hammer, drill, sand paper, and paint brush

How it's done:

-First, fill in and sand the pre-drilled drawer holes with wood filler. Examine the dresser to see if there are any wood knots and fill those in. Because the dresser is raw wood, I would also go over the entire thing with sand paper to smooth the wood.

-Pre-drill pilot holes for the corner brackets.

-These pulls are recessed pulls which means you have to carve out the wood so that they set down into it. It was a huge pain, and I made my husband do it. He used a special drill bit like this intended for installing recessed hinges and just kind of made it happen. I contacted the sweet girls at forchicsake.com and they said they just installed the pulls on top of the wood. They said it looked fine, but that you could see that it stuck out from the side. I would HIGHLY recommend considering getting this pull or this pull instead. They are much cheaper and will be no problem to install. Seriously.

-Assemble and paint the dresser. You can do this however you want. I put the frame together and painted the drawer pieces separately before assembling them. 

-Install brass corners and drawer pulls.



We used the dresser in our entry way. It's where we keep our keys and mail. The photo above is what we refer to as "styling". Never again will that part of my house look so cute and orderly. I hope you enjoyed this project, and if you take it on yourself, I would love to see pictures! I have to give a big thanks to my husband for his help. He spent a lot of time on this and didn't get mad when I broke his drill.

Love,
Lauren




No comments:

Post a Comment