Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My family's lake house...

My husband drives a Ford Taurus and we have no less than five dog vomit stains on our carpet. So going to my parents' lake house is about as glamorous as we get. My house is Houston is decent, but not fancy in either it's design or decor. I'm sure one day we will get to upgrade our lifestyle, but for now we are living on the income of one 27 year old person. 

For us, there is a lot of beauty in living so close to all of our parents. There are definitely some benefits whether it's a free meal on occasion, or access to their pool, or, in this case, a trip to their lake house. I mostly want to share how amazing this house is because I am proud of my parents for pulling it off, and I love reaping the benefits. 

My family has had a place on the lake for 10 years in Marble Falls. Our first house was a very small, bust cozy, three bedroom home that was pretty basic. There was nothing fancy about it, but when you go from having no lake house to having a lake house, just about anything feels like luxury. In 2010, they bought the house next door to them because it had a much bigger lot and better view of open water than they had at the time. They demolished that house entirely and started from scratch to build a new one. Even though it wasn't my house, just being a part of the building process was incredibly stressful. I am not sure if I would ever want to build my own home, but then again, when I see how perfect my parents' lake house is, I realize that it might be worth it.  

I took some shots of it this weekend. The architecture is pretty cool, in my opinion. It's a perfect blend of Hill Country and modern, and it is SO my parents. Most of the house is built around windows with amazing water views, so no matter where you are inside, you have an incredible look out at the water. 

The front...
View from the dock...
Another view of the back... 
The back yard...
 Love these stairs...
 Now moving on to the entertainment portion of this post...

 Remember when I said I like to dress Henry like us, but not exactly like us? This is what I meant...
Family fun...
 Henry's godparents...
 Beautiful Texas sunset...

Gorgeous, right? I so wish we lived closer to Marble Falls because I would seriously go there every weekend. In high school, I actually did go up there every week during the summer. I have no recollection of what my mom and I did all that time that we were up there, but I think back then I was very good at making proper use of my time. I would do things like swim out to the middle of the lake and back. For fun. I am not nearly as productive when I go now. My time spent there now revolves around napping, eating, and applying sunscreen every 30 minutes.

I am really excited for Henry to get older and really enjoy the lake house. That place is a dream come true for little kids, and I look forward to teaching him how to ride the shit out of some jet skis.

Love,
Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment